Monday, April 27, 2009

Science Made Fun!!!

I always found Science beyond dull when I was in school. I wanted to find a way to make Science more interesting for my boys. Thanks to Insect Lore, here is a science experiment that everyone will find fun: We ordered this Butterfly Pavilion kit several years ago.This is what the pavilion looks like:We ordered our kit through Amazon.com. They gave us a coupon to send off for free butterfly larvae. I later found out you can order directly from Insectlore.com That is when I found out that Insect Lore is not just about butterflies. Oh no sir! They have ladybug kits, frog kits, plant life kits, ants, crabs, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, to celebrate the arrival of spring, I ordered our annual celebratory butterfly larvae. They arrived today:



The little caterpillars arrive in these sterile, sealed cups-complete with food. In seven to ten days, they will finish eating all their food and form cocoons (chrysalids). Then we transfer them into the Pavilion....and wait. After these cute caterpillars become butterflies, we will let them loose in our garden. It's a hands on way to learn about science and nature; yet, cleverly disguised in a cloak of fun !!! Trust me, you don't get this kind of interest and excitement from a textbook! But don't take my word for it, let's ask the boys shall we?



Guys, what do you think?




Boys?





Mission Accomplished!!! Obviously, they find Science fascinating! Check back in with us this fall when we learn about tadpoles/frogs with our frog kit! They find it ribbiting....I mean riveting as well!!!






3 comments:

Jen said...

Fun! Matt had a butterfly thing like that when he was a kiddo, too!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to check out this site right now. Cool.

kiki said...

That's a great site. I am going to see if piggy wants to order anything. The girls say Let's order a butterfly kit too mom. yummy!...Meow I had to explain it's a science site, not "entrees on trays"