Thursday, April 16, 2009

HARLOW UPDATE

Isn't it amazing how you find yourself doing and writing about things you would have NEVER imagined yourself doing in a million years?!

I said before that I had never imagined myself diapering a dog....well been there/done that. I guess theoretically the diapering thing would work on a normal size dog. Those little pad inserts they supply you with, well lets just say they don't quite cut it. I even tried inserting actual overnight diapers to see if it could handle the job. Nope. Everytime she lays down to sleep-it's like the 100 year flood.


We are now on day13 of cleaning up urine. 13 straight days from afore mentioned dog. 13 days with no improvement. We started her on estrogen. Vet said we should have noticed improvement by now. But, she has never treated a dog this large before for this ailment. So today we tripled her dosage. The game plan is to see if she responds after 4 straight days of mega doses of estrogen. I'm guessing with that much estrogen she will be smarter, even more nurturing, grow eyes in the back of her head, and able to multi-task with the best of them :) I'm also HOPING that the problem goes away. If not, we are on to more testing.

We're no stranger to tests. ( In fact, Harlow now carries a #2 pencil with her whenever we go to the vet in case she has to take yet another test. :) But it seems we have now entered a serious testing zone. Like "SAT" kind of testing. We've pretty much ruled out everything but kidneys at this point. Kidneys are a very serious thing. Tests we don't want to take. So here's to girl power! Here's to hoping that mega estrogen will act like testosterone and kick some ass on the urine leakage!

I know that "urine" this with me. So I'll update you again on Monday.

1 comment:

kiki said...

Sweet baby. Please keep us updated. I think about her and hope she is finding some relief...other than on your floor. :)