Friday, April 17, 2009

Square Root Hoedown

Here at the ol' homestead we are not only knee deep in dog urine. (see previous posts.) We are up to our eyeballs in mathematics.

Math is my least favorite subject to teach. Should come as no shocker, it was also my least favorite subject when I was in school as well. I don't see the relevance in a lot of it.

This week we are doing square roots. They want us to figure out the square root 3 spaces past the decimal point. Which means in square root terms, you have to add 6 zeros after the decimal point. Calculate. Divide. Figure out answer. Check your work. A tedious process to say the least.

I'm thinking of combining this exercise with square dancing and drinking to make it a little more tolerable.

Ahemmm.....

You grab two zeros and doe see doe.
Bring them zeros down below.
Now multiply the numbers times themselves,
Put your answer up on the square root shelf (the top of the division box)

We got more spaces yet to go
A mindnumbing exercise I know.
Down a shot of tequila and a beer chaser,
Don't worry about mistakes son...
That's why we have an eraser!!!

See we learn, we exercise and we keep our sanity. I'm thinking I'm on to something here. The square root hoedown! Yeahaw!

Sorry, I really haven't been drinking....yet. But can I get a "holla" from any of you who thinks math is tedious, dull and mind numbing?

Well gotta put on my dancing boots and head back to the dance. Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so far behind in 5th grade math that my mind is numb!
I love the song! I'll probably go to sleep singing it!

Anonymous said...

That song is still in my head! Instead of singing Amazing Grace today I'll be singing "Square Root Hoedown"

I forgot to tell you, thanks for making me belly laugh with your drink of water comment. Because truly I would do something like that and not even think twice! Great minds think alike.

Anonymous said...

You should print your poems and songs. They are quite catchy. What a fun teacher your children have. .....Happy Birthday for tomorrow by the way..... :)

kiki said...

forgot to sign my name. :)
Love, Kiki