Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Marital Bed

After all these years of being married, Ricardo has FINALLY consented to buying a REAL bed for us!!!

Our bed has always consisted of a mattress and boxsprings sitting on a metal frame. Two years ago we bought a new mattress and boxsprings (oh so comfy!) But we have never had a REAL bedframe/headboard/footboard....unless you include our waterbed when we were first married. (But I for one would like to erase from memory ever being a waterbed owner ;)

We have started the shopping process. Being a man, you can just imagine how EXCITED Ricardo is going from store, to store, to store, to endless store with me!!! Since this is OUR bed, he MUST be included in the ENTIRE PROCESS!!! (Don't you agree?!) The children, being BOYS are also excited beyond belief with the entire bed shopping process. They may put off marriage indefinately after this. LOL!

But it isn't everyday that you buy a bed. And this is much more than just A bed. It is a MARITAL BED. Our bed, through good times and bad. A bed that is entrusted to supporting and carrying the weight of our marriage on a daily basis. A bed that we will join us together as husband and wife EVERY NIGHT FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES!!! As you can see, it MUST be a special, special bed. Surely you fellow women out there see the importance of this?!

We have seen several beds. 4 poster beds, sleigh beds, beds with elaborate designs, beds without. Dark wood, medium wood, light wood...

I can see the advantages to all the bed types. The sleigh bed won't overwhelm the room. Not make it feel claustrophobic or small. They are classic in design. The 4 poster beds are classic as well as good for pole dancing and handcuffs....LOL! Then there are the beds with the mighty pillars.....and the ones with the short posts and urns on every corner.... But now we need to choose one. But before we do, give me your opinions. What type of beds do you like best and why? Which ones are always stylish? Which wood type do you recommend? Are some easier to make? Better quality than others? Guaranteed to ensure a long lasting marriage? I REALLY want your opinions here. They will help tremendously!

TRUST me, much like my marriage, this is a once in a lifetime event- an opportunity like this will NEVER come along again! I've GOT to get it right the first time!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Travis and I have a sleighbed and we love it! It is very easy to make and looks pretty, yet masculine. It also isn't a "trendy" style, so it will always be okay with any decor.

I was worried that with Travis being so tall, the footboard part of the sleighbed would be a problem, since his feet couldn't stick out the end. It is a standard queen size and the length hasnt been a problem for him. Unless Ricardo is > 6'3", it should work for you guys, too.

Good luck bed hunting!

Anonymous said...

I like beds that sit high off the ground. We have a head board and foot board. I now can't sleep on a bed that sit normal height off the floor. We sleep on a mattress that my husbands ex girlfriend gave him for the first 8 years of our marriage!

kiki said...

I am for the sleigh or even the high bed as well. They would be my first two choices. I have been furniture shopping as well, for dark wood furniture. Not cherry, but not light like pine. Just nice dark timeless furniture. I have been looking at jcp.com and those places for closeout specials. Sounds cheap, but I thought, you just never know what discontinued furniture might be beautiful. There's a word for you...discontinued. :) See, now that matches my marriage. :)