Friday, March 20, 2009

Springtime Optimist!

It's Springtime! Seems everyone in the neighborhood has the Spring Gardening Bug. We've all been out digging, pulling weeds, planting things, mulching, etc. This week I've dug out my "Topsey Turvey" tomato planters and planted two tomato plants. Potted a yellow squash plant and a strawberry plant. Even going to plant potatoes in their owns special potato bags as soon as the nursery gets their potato plants in. Now, I've said more than once that if my family had to rely on my vegetable growing skills...well we'd all starve. (OBVIOUSLY I'm not great at it- I have to buy special vegetable bags and planters for crying out loud!!! ) But there's just something about the cool, sunny early Spring days that make you feel optimistic. That "I think I can do it" attitude. You know the one. The I can become a master gardener, I can lose the extra weight, I can become a MENSA member...... ;)
















Here's a quick look at my future vegetable bounty. The one that will sustain my family during these hard financial times:









See the cute little strawberry buds? Ahhhh!





Hello little squash...I could just squish you! Sorry, I'm goofy today!











Hello Maters! Longing for you already!















But the practical side of me knows not to put all my veggies in one basket- so to speak. So, I've also been busy pulling weeds, planting and mulching my flowerbeds, etc trying to make our landscaping look nice and fresh. I've toted so many bags of mulch and soil this week, and dug so many holes- it hurts to straighten my arms! Seriously! Nothing like that first burst of outside manual labor in the Springtime to make you realize what a wuss you really are! That the weight machines and ellipticals don't utilize ALL your muscles like real life scenarios or you wouldn't be feeling this way. Maybe I should invent a "Shovel Simulator Machine" to work those pesky underused muscles. Hmmmmm...I might be on to something! Advertise it late at night-have susceptible individuals like me phoning in by the tens and hundreds...ha! Sorry, I got off track. Before I become a gazillionaire, here's a look at some of my "beds."...





Now most of these plants I planted last Fall-but LOOK! They are coming back!!! Hello little Iris! Hello little rose bush! But some of them I planted this week-like the Nandina's. And before I mulched, I had to weed it-ugh! I hate pulling weeds! Last year I traded out certain services with Ricardo so I wouldn't have to pull the weeds myself. Is that wrong? I guess it would be if he were just my gardener; but, since he's also my husband and no actual money traded hands I think that makes everything legit. Right?! Cause I may use a hoe, but I ain't now nor ever been one! Man am I on a roll today or what?! Seriously, I should be writting this stuff down! Oh wait! I am. Anyhow...








I also found these nifty little tree rings at Lowes. I placed the plastic tray down first, then added a "mulch ring" on top. Now I don't have to worry about the mower hitting the trees, or mulch blowing away etc. How cool is that?!


This tree above is the $5 tree I got at Lowes last Fall-their end of the season sale. Regularly $39. I'm so excited when I think I have found a fabulous deal!!! It's just now starting to bud. Some type of maple. (Flaming something or another.) Anyway, Miss Maple looks just gorgeous in the Fall. All her leaves start turning orange and bright red-like shiney jewelry. And you know how I like the shiney, blingey stuff! ;)

This little guy here I've had in a pot for almost 2 years. Had to move him out of the backyard last Fall....the pups thought of it as a teething toy. But Mr. Live Oak seems to be adjusting right well. He's gonna be a great tree one day!!!So that's what's been going on here this first week of Spring.








On a side note, the mortgage company agreed to drop our PMI! Woohoo!!! Nice to have that work out in our favor!








Here's the latest on the Fit Flop. I think the Fit Flops are working! The first day they wore a blister on my second toe. (ouch) But, I bandaged it up, sucked it up, and slipped those babies back on. Because, I'm determined in my pursuit of all things trivial to get the answer for you all! Now excuse the pic of my chubby ugly toes-it's just for tutorial purposes. I wear a six 6 shoe. ( I used to wear a size 5 shoe. Then I had a baby...jumped up to 5 1/2, then I had another baby...jumped up to a size 6. Then I got scared and quit having babies...ha ha ha! Just joking.) Anyway, you can see that the shoe is a little long in the toe area. Perhaps it's because I have short toes. If these shoes do indeed work, I may order another pair in a smaller size later. But I was too excited to give these girlies a whirl.















And here's my results so far: I do notice a difference when I take them off. I feel a little "twinge" in some of my leg muscles come bedtime. (course, maybe that's from all the digging too!) I do not notice any difference in cellulite, or firming/toning yet....but I'll keep going for another month or two and let you know. In the meantime, I'm feeling optimistic!!! There's literally a "Spring" in my step!!! Oh Haaaaaaa ha ha! I crack myself up! After the MENSA club reads this, I'm definately a shoe in! (get it?....sorry. I'll go now!) Have a great weedend everyone!




And check out what we'll be doing tomorrow...






Oh fun fun! Don't you wish you were us? One last joke (cause I just can't stand the thought of missing this photo op!) Here goes...ahem.... "GOT GRASS?!" ha ha ha! Sorry. Irrelevant. Inappropriate even. But it made you giggle...admit it! Oh how I wish I were in "Bermuda...;)" See you Monday Everyone!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you maybe were smoking a little bit of that! :) LOVE the yard, love the veggies. Mine are growing in their little seed starters, just haven't made it to the "planting them" stage yet. I too, will not frequent the produce section of the grocery any less due to all of the vegetable plants I will be planting, but it is soo fun to try. Good luck fellow green thumb

Jen said...

Very nice! I am thinking about skipping the veggie garden this year... last year I planted 8 tomato plants and had a bumper crop. Everyone I work with at the office brought in tomatoes all summer long to share. There were tomatoes coming out our ears.

So, here is what I thought... If they will share their tomatoes with me, I will plant a garden FULL of strawberries and share with them!

I love spring and I love hearing about your beautiful yard and your gardens. Good luck with all of your plants!