Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I'm not a Whiner/Wino....or Am I?!!

"Your blogs haven't been very funny or interesting this week Stac, What's the deal?" Funny you should ask. Let me enlighten you. Last week our ceramic tile downstairs buckled up in a 3x10 foot area. It was like having a hunchback living under our floors. So this weekend, Ricardo popped up all the offending tiles and removed the old mastic on the floors. We re-laid the tiles Monday night. (NOTE: When popping up tile I recommend putting up a drop cloth to keep the mortar and mastic dust from overtaking your home....we learned this the hard way!!! :( Ugh!)





Then Monday night I stayed up until 12:30 in the morning cleaning the downstairs. Every single item was covered with mortar/mastic dust. It was so horrid, I had the windows open in 30 degree weather to help air it out. Finally, after 5 hours of continuous cleaning...order was restored to my world. Ahhhhh! So I went to bed.





Then Tuesday I grouted the newly laid tiles. One hour after finsihing the job......MORE tiles started popping up. NOT the ones we had just relaid....others. Let me show you why this is concerning:





Above is the front door going to the back of my home. Below is the kitchen going toward the other side of our home:


Are you seeing a trend? Yep,...tile. All the rooms except for two downstairs are tile! Are you having the nervous giggles for me yet?! If not, let me tell you this: When the tiles pop, it is LOUD. If we lived in a less desirable neighborhood- it would sound like a drive by.And we would all be hitting the uneven, dusty floors!




So where was I....oh yes, yesterday. After the grouting, another section POPPED. I thought the upstairs was crashing down. I literally looked up. Then... I thought "NOOOOOOOOOO!" Sure enough, it was the tile. Another 6x8 foot section hunched up like a teepee. So last night we re-laid MORE tile. Today I grouted MORE tile. Below is our redone living room (excuse the dust I still have to get up):



Yep, we've relaid more of it than not at this point. And we are sooooooo over it! I feel like Susan Powter(remember her from the 80's) "STOP THE INSANITY!" We've been doing all this in our free time. After work, school, chores. No quality family time this week. The boys are over it too. Trust me!




And as if that were not enough to contend with. I believe little miss thing (ELLA) has broken her front elbow. I think this because it happened to another mastiff that I met. And it looked remarkably similar to this:




Notice the swelling. Just to give you a comparison size, it barely fits in the palm of my hand. Are ya about ready to "fwoah-up?" I know I am! And if it costs half as much as it did for the other mastiff I know that had to have his repaired....I will "fwoah-up!" We may have to have a fund raiser. :) She is getting around great. She is in no apparant pain. Poor baby! And YES,We have her set up for her vet appointment. We'll just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Surely, we deserve a "break"....or a non-break..... I don't know. We deserve both. A break on the tile(popping up...not on the tile breaking!!) and a non-break on the pup. (Please, please, please let it just be a sprain. NO break, nothing else serious either!)




If neither is forcoming....I've got Plan B in the wings:




The front two bottles were given to us as a joke 3 years ago, the back two bottles are about 10 years old.....as you can see: None of them have been uncorked, or unscrewed (ha)....YET! As for the tissues, trust me when I say..."It's all over but the cryin'!" I just haven't found time for that yet. I've been too busy with all the above....and trying to find my misplaced sense of humor! I'll let you know when I find it. Hope I find it soon cause: Ya Gotta have your sense of humor; it's critical!!!

















3 comments:

Jen said...

Yowza. That looks like a bad dislocation on your sweet puppy! Will it pop back in? It really does make me want to frowh-up!

And when I am ready to tile our basement I am calling you and the kids to come vacation in Kansas... I am sure with your experience and supervision along with my elbow grease, we could do it! :)

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Yowza is right! I have no idea if it will pop back into place...I'm scared I will do more harm than good...since I'm clueless about bones if they are not in the mouth. So I have not touched it. She manuevers stairs great, and has jumped up a time or two-no pain, no pops either....Will gladly trade your nursing skills in relocating/healing her elbow for doing tile work in your basement! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, my tummy! Not very good at medical situations. As for the tile. You guys are impressive about fixing things. Mick and I would have just told visitors.."It's suppose to be like that." :) Isn't very handy...ole Mickey. Good thing yall are. Please keep us updated on sweet pea. We'll watch for vet photos in the blog. You know, I think for livestock, they actually come to you. Might want to give that a whirl.