Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas 2008-at the lake!!!

We are a somewhat unconventional family sometimes to say the least-but I like it that way! For example Christmas 2008, we spent the morning opening gifts and enjoying the bounty like most families. Then by mid-day things started to veer a little towards unconventional. We had our Christmas dinner-steaks, veggies and potatoes. YUM! Delightful! And best of all -no leftovers. Then after lunch we did what most families do (NOT) we went to the lake! Could the day BE any more gray?! ha! Doesn't it look like the water goes on forever though?!








But don't worry there was land in sight, and light broke through the clouds on occasion





I just find boating on the lake so relaxing! I love when we make it a family affair. This is our captain:






Why is he driving the boat you ask...cause when he isn't behind the wheel he gives his mommy mini heart attacks by doing crazy antics like this:







Okay, so he is not falling off the boat...but it COULD happen....right? Having him drive just seems safer. Besides, if he wasn't driving he couldn't say things like this:


"I'M DRIVING THIS BOAT. JUST SIT DOWN. QUIT FLAPPIN YER GUMS AND HOLD ON!" Okay, so he didn't actually say those exact words...and he didn't actually drive the boat...but it made for a good story, don't ya think?!






Like I said, we like to make boating a family affair. We even take Disney and Ella with us.They LOVE boating and being on the water. Ricardo had just thrown this bowie overboard to see if he could catch some fish. It's called "jug fishing." Silly me, I thought "jug fishing" was taking a "jug" of your favorite beverage with you....but guess that's just how I like to jug fish-ha ha ha!!!






Anyway, look how closely they are keeping an eye on the bowie. Disney sooooo wants to jump in after it, but don't worry; he won't! He's an experienced sailor. And he doesn't hit the jug if ya know what I mean....









We all had a fabulous time. It may be an unconventional way to spend Christmas afternoon. But the proof is in the pudding so to speak. Just look at these pictures. A smile is worth a thousand words....








Course ol' blue eyes is usually all smiles all the time. But our "captain" he can be somewhat of a scurvy dog at times. Captain, are you having a good Christmas?






Oh yeah! The captain is having a blast! I love it when they smile! Just melts your heart doesn't it?! I think as they get older, they will say things like: "Remember that year we went to the lake on Christmas?! What a blast!"






Yeah, I think we are making some good memories:









But, After awhile our observant Co-captain starts to notice something:






Me (aka: first mate)"What is it Co-Captain Ricardo?"



Ricardo: "I think the deck hands need a break."



Me: "Excuse me?!" ( snicker snicker)



Ricardo: "The crew! You goofy dork. The crew is fading fast!"






So, I quit acting juvenile, quit snickering and start looking around.(Still through the camera lens, of course:) Sure enough. We're having a great time. But it is December. And we are on the water. And it is getting colder as the afternoon wears on. The crew is indeed starting to fade a little:



The captain no longer has his toothy grin...or feisty attitude. :) As for blue eyes...well even he is starting to look a little weary or "blue" should we say....





Okay sweet babies, let's get you back to land. And as for the rest of the crew....well, they look DOG TIRED!!! ha ha ha! (Thank you! I'll be here all week!)






If you think Ella looks pathetic, check out poor ol' Disney. He won't even acknowledge me anymore. He just wants to find a warm place to curl up and nap. Curling up by my legs isn't working anymore.




Oh, and speaking of legs....I'm wearing my "tall jeans" today. I may a wee bit shy of 6'. But I honestly don't notice it when I wear these magical denims. When I look down at my legs in these jeans... I truly feel tall. Statuesque. "Amazonish" even!... Don't you concur:








Ahhhhhhh! Like a tall drink with a fancy umbrella! Yep, that's me.... But unfortunately,

Unlike these legs....our Christmas Day trip just can't go on forever!! ;)






But good times together and wonderful memories were the treasure we found this afternoon. Hope your Christmas Day was fun filled too! With all your own family traditions and many wonderful memories to look back fondly upon!!!
































































































































3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was my most favorite blog yet. Your fading crew pictures are fantastic. I've never seen such a sugar crash on film. Wind blown... whatever it was. That's a fun time had by all. And wow, nice legs....It reminded me of the Pretty Woman tub scene. 88" of therapy right there. Imagine if you wore those jeans with your new boots......giraffe like...

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Thank you so much! I do aim to please my vast audience! :) But an audience is an audience no matter how small...an audience is an audience after all...paraphrasing Horton/Dr. Seuss...:)

Jen said...

I love these! Christmas at the lake is unusual in a delightful, original way! You're right - your kids will remember this!
What a sweet family you have there! THanks for letting us take a peek into your fun day!