Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Help Save the Daily Planners!!!

I'm all for the comforts of modern technology. I enjoy the big screen t.v's, computers, cell phones, etc. I can't say as I can understand how to work them all... or at all. Perhaps you noticed the obvious when you read my blog. No fancy gadgets, no truly custom features. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the bells and whistles! Truly I do. It's just, I just can't stand having to read directions to figure out how to install and work things. I don't have the time or patience. I can't don't and won't-that's how I handle modern technology. Whew! That felt good. Now it's out there. Now you know. However, that being said, I am all for someone showing me how to operate, program or install it. I guess I'm just a visual person. (That sounds soooo much better than weird, hopelessly behind the times and mentally inept.) Yeah, let's go with "visual."



Also, I think some things are just better the old fashioned way. For example, I enjoy the written word. I love to read books. Hold them in my hand. Feel their weight. Get paper cuts when I turn the pages. However, I would never even consider reading a book online; sorry, just not the same. I found it hard enough to give up the actual newspaper and go to reading it online. Yet, I felt guilty about not having time to read it everyday. Even though I recycle, that is a lot of trees needlessly giving their lives. But, a newspaper is not like a book that you can read over and over. So, I conceded on that one.



A perfect example of old fashioned and better that way is the "daily planner." I'm sorry. I know that you can put things on your computer. I also know that you can add all your activities and appointments on your cell phone. But, it's not convenient. I like to be able to pull out my planner, open it up, and see a a glance what I have going on at any given time. I'm not always at my computer. And if I'm on my cell phone, I can't pull up my calendar. (My husband says you can do it....but that would require me figuring out how to put someone on hold while I upload/download/find my calendar. Chances of me being able to do that and then actually get back to the person I was talking to are pretty slim. Okay, their nil!!!)


Today, I went to my local Wallyworld while I was out and about. I looked everywhere for my new 2009 daily planner. I checked office supplies, I checked the card section. Couldn't find them. Finally, I had to ask for help. (Not an easy feat in Walmart...finding someone who works there and will actually help you, but I digress.) The associate pointed to where they were. On the end aisle spot in office supplies. There was only one small shelf. About a 2x2 square space. The associate said they don't really carry alot of them anymore. Supply and demand I guess.


Well, this is causing me some alarm. I'm a wee bit angry. I have heard that anger is just fear that is exaggerated or misdirected or some such thing. I believe it. My anger is simply from fear that I will one day have to find another way to organize my chaotic life. That there will soon be no such thing as the "daily planner." That is will go the way of the rotary phones. So yes, I am really not angry-I'm afraid. And my fear is at a level orange people!!! I love my daily planner. I NEED my daily planner. I CAN'T to give it up! I... WON'T! My daily planner is like a monkey on my back(although a highly organized monkey)....I'm addicted. Plain and simple. So, they can't ever quit making daily planners!!!

With no more daily planners, what would my alternatives be? A full size calendar worn around my neck? Resorting to writing all my appointments on my body in ink? And if so...then, should I use pen ink? Or, if it is something important and I want to remember it always-should I have it tattooed on?! You can see my dilemma. Surely, there is one or two of you who understand what I am feeling. Is the end of the daily planner in sight? I sure hope not! I'm gonna dig in my heals on this one. Yep, if I have to wear my Mamma Mia boots all the way to the high courts I will! Somethings are just worth keeping. Even if they are helplessly antiquated, outdated, bulky, and not practical anymore.....Like me for example! :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm with you on this - I LOVE my planner and would be completely lost without it! Trav bought me a Palm Pilot a few years back and after the novelty wore off, I went back to an old paper/pencil planner!

In November, I started looking around for my 2009 planner and found a nice selection at Kinkos! The one I bought was $12 and each month is color coded, there are all kinds of pockets, an address book, and a notepad inside. Best of all, it fits in my purse! I will probably buy next year's planner there, too!

Stacy D. Briefing said...

I will definately try Kinko's next year then. I love the idea of color coded months, pockets, etc. And also, it HAS to fit in my purse. Thanks for the tip!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so on the other side of the brain. You know, the one that wishes it were organized. I just go day to day and figure I will remember. Not good. I do write appointments down in an appt calendar for my shoots, but other than that.....I just wish I had yalls yearning to be so organized. I've never even looked inside of a planner. hummm Maybe I will start that in this new year/new me.