Tuesday, January 20, 2009

America the Beautiful Indeed!

I'm a wee bit tired. I just flew back from the inauguration in Washington...and boy are my arms tired! (ba- dum clang! Thank you! I'll be here all week!) Okay, so I didn't actually GO to the inauguration....but I made it as realistic as possible. I turned off the heat, opened all the windows, bundled up and had the boys stand impossibly close to me. Every once in a while I'd have one of them elbow me or give me a nudge, just to make it feel a little more authentic. Like I was actually standing in the crowd watching history being made.

I've never been to Washington D.C. before, but I really want to go one day. These are photos I took off the televison. (Gotta love high- def! ) I don't care which party you are for, or if you don't follow politics at all...don't you think our capital is beautiful?! I felt a real sense of pride seeing all the important buildings! Also, I think the architecture truly is beautiful!
And the flag themed banners draped here-love it! (Maybe it's cause they remind me of my boots!;)

I especially love this photo! Look at the Lincoln Memorial in the background...and just LOOK at all these people! The crowd alone is impressive! The fact that this many people are all coming together, to witness history is even more impressive!


I can't stand to be in a crowd...claustrophobic! But it was an impressive sight. And can you imagine having to SPEAK to a crowd this large?!!! My teeth would be chattering, my knees would be weak, I'd be hurling and having to potty every 2 seconds! But look at this:



Didn't even phase our new president! He is one cool cucumber! Calm, cool, collected and in control! I really like him! I think he will be amazing!




And together as a couple- perfection! They are so dynamic! They're young, ambitious, empathetic and united in their love for each other as well as this country. And I think that is beautiful! I'm glad I got to witness this inauguration, even if it was just on television. Here's to hoping the next 4 years bring many good things to all of us, as individuals and a country as well!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly loved it too. I watched it all day and all night. Whether you voted for Obama or not, it was an gorgeous day in American history. I loved that many Americans together in peace, with that many flags flying.... I had chills all day. I am very thankful to have been born in this country.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I live 20 miles outside of D.C. and we didn't go to the Inauguration...sounds crazy, I know!

But...the kids were out of school for the event and we snuggled on the couch with blankets and popcorn and watched history unfold! It was neat to be able to share it with our kids and talk about what was happening!

Then...I proceeded to stay up WAY too late watching the Inaugural Balls....President and Mrs. Obama are SO fantastic together :-)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! You are too funny!
The kids and I watched it most of the day but we fell asleep during part of it.