Monday, March 22, 2010

If Only they made a pill for Stupidity

If they invented a pill for stupidity, I'd have to take double the dose. And if I were to tell my life story, I would have to title the book: "I can do Stupid all by myself." Seems like my entire life has been filled with one act of stupidity followed by another.











As Ima always says- If you can't set a good example, serve as a horrible warning to others! I will now share my latest act of stupidity with you. Hopefully, keeping others from making the same mistake. ("Don't be a Stacy!")Although, I seriously doubt anyone else is this stupid....but I digress. I have been taking meds for GERD. Seems like anything I eat gives me heartburn and/or acid reflux. Not very fun at all. But there are worse things in life-so I just deal with it. I usually take my GERD meds at lunchtime since I take my thyroid meds in the morning. (Yes, I am just a walking pill bottle. :) But yesterday, I took my GERD meds at breakfast. I was already having "issues" while eating breakfast, so I decided to get a handle on things.











Fast forward to lunchtime. Darling husband Ricardo suggested Mexican food. We hadn't had it in months, so I agreed. Mistake. Without thinking, (which is how I mostly live my life) I popped another GERD pill before we ate. After swallowing, I realized that I had already taken one that day. Looked it up- symptoms for overdose were headache, nausea, accelerated heart rate, and in extreme overdose in lab rats-death. It said to contact poison control or seek medical treatment in case of overdose. Whatever.











Since I am not a lab rat, I didn't worry too much. What could one extra little pill possibly do?! Seems like quite a lot when coupled with the high sodium content from Mexican food. I spent all afternoon and evening bedridden with a horrid headache and elevated BP. My blood pressure spiked so high at one point, Ricardo said we would be doing an ER visit if it went any higher. But I told him they can't treat stupid...they can only monitor it. ;)











My blood pressure is almost back to normal today as the meds and sodium leave my body. But the effects of my stupidity still linger. My chances of eating any Mexican food in the future is pretty slim. Sodium is no longer a friend of mine. As for taking multiple doses of medicine in the future, I shouldn't have to worry about that any longer. As I'll be purchasing one of those memory medicine boxes with the days of the week on them. (Seems they're no longer just for the elderly.) Which with any luck will rule out stupid incidents with meds in the future....providing I can remember what day of the week it is. :O

3 comments:

Jen said...

GERD sucks. It really does. I hate it that you have to deal with it!

I get it very occasionally. When I do, I wake up in the night with it - that painful, burning, almost-puke in my throat that makes me cough and sputter. (You all wanted to know the details, right?)

Ironic that you posted about this today. I visited my folks this afternoon... I asked dad about his meds, as I do from time to time. He takes TWO 30mg Prevacid in the morning and TWO more at lunchtime. He takes ANOTHER at bedtime, if he needs it. So... I don't think it will kill you. He takes up to 150mg a day! Normal dose is 30mg per day!

And P.S. - I don't think you are stupid at all. I have had a pill organizer for years to avoid the same situation! :)

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Jen,
GERD....feel the burn!...Taste the puke! :O Believe me, I feel your pain! Your Dad's must be REALLY bad to have to take that much! Poor thing! I feel for him now too!!!
A "pill organizer" I LOVE that name so I'm ALL on board with that now! Thank you!!! Sounds so much better than the "pill box for idiots".-with my photo etched on the lid. :)

Anonymous said...

I have been so blessed. I only get GERD when I'm 8 months knocked up. But it was so bad everytime I would beg the Dr. to rip the child from my body to make it stop. I truly feel for you. I can't use salt either. I have a neighbor allergic to MSG and a restraunt said they didn't use it and by the end of the meal they had to call the paramedics to haul her out. She weighs only 90lbs and after eating she weighed 120 and looked like jabba the hut. Its funny now and was only a little funny then. (Once we knew she wouldn't die)