Thursday, August 27, 2009

Plant it and They Will Come...

My vision for our landscaping is to make it look as if our house is a little cottage built in the woods. Not the deep, dark, creepy kind of woods. The fairy tale kind of woods. Where you turn the corner and you are surrounded by trees, flowers, and nature. The vision is nowhere near complete yet. But, I think I'm off to a good start. We have lots of nature enjoying our yard. LOADS of birds. Including my little friend here: Oh I love the doves! They like to hang out on our window ledges, fence tops and walk around the yard. There are a few that come almost every evening. They are so sweet!


To give our home the "Fairy Forrest Feel" we've planted some trees...

Okay.... Lots and lots of trees. All types of trees.... Evergreens,... trees with acorns,


and trees with seasonal berries to feed the birds in the spring and winter.


We've also planted flower beds to attract butterflies.







We've given them lots of different choices to satisfy their taste buds.



There are plenty of knock-out roses....








Also, Lantana and other perennials to supply nectar through-out most of the year.




I love all the nature we've attracted to our humble home so far. Many different types of birds- Doves, Mockingbirds, Robins, Sparrows.
The butterflies come from near and far. As do the dragonflys. So many different types, all with beautiful colors just fluttering by. It is like a feast for the eyes. We've got tons of toads and lots of lizards as well.


But I have to admit, we have a new addition this year that has me so stinkin excited....






( Look CLOSELY to the right of the flowers-see that hint of grey with a dark spot on it's tail?) We have hummingbirds!!!!! There are two that come to our yard everyday now. How wonderful is that???!!! Now if I can just get the 7 Dwarfs to visit, the dream will be complete. ;)









6 comments:

kiki said...

I can't see it.... :) Just kidding. Had a "Friends" flashback when I was hunting for the hummingbird. Your yard is beautiful. What a peaceful accomplishment.

kiki said...

Welcome back camera...you were missed.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

LOL! I remember that episode so well! My photography leaves so much to be desired. It's almost like playing/reading Where's Waldo looking for the little bird huh? Go have a drink (or 3) and then try...maybe you'll see both of them (or dozens even. ) I do... :)

Anonymous said...

I picked the bird right up! Truly amazing for me. (No wine this evening) Your yard is FANTASTIC!!!
Where did you find your camera?

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Camera was found in my suitcase...The SAME one I looked thru several times. Ugh! Sent Ricardo up to the attic to look thru suitcase for me-of course he found it right away. It was tucked into a hidden pocket. I'm such a dork!!! But a happy dork. :)

Jen said...

You have such a pretty yard! And very green thumbs!

We had a hummingbird come to our deck on evening last week and no one in my family believed me when I told them. Hmmph! :)