Friday, August 28, 2009

The Cost of Raising A Child...

I read an article on MSN the other day, about the cost to raise a child these days. Seems like the average amount spent for a second child was $221,000- or something like that. I don't know who figured the equation or added the numbers I don't know if the amount is correct or not. I truly could care less. It's only money.



I figure there might be a few people who see that figure and are scared off from having children entirely. I also think there might be a few parents who see that figure and have anxiety. Thinking maybe they aren't spending enough. Or perhaps, there will be several more, who blow that figure out of the water entirely, by spending oodles more. Again-MONEY DOESN'T MATTER!



Here's my opinion: The TRUE COST of raising a child... is your heart, your soul and your life.



You lose your heart to your unborn child from the moment you find out your pregnant. Again, when you first feel it flutter inside you. Later when it kicks up a storm. And definitely when you lay eyes on him/her for the first time. They start out growing beneath your heart...and at some point they become your heart. You truly KNOW what love is when you have a child. There is no other love like it.



Raising a child, you put your soul into. It becomes your life's work. Making sure all their needs are met. Striving to make them happy, healthy, loving, giving, sensitive, passionate people. You look into their eyes and see a soul so beautiful, feel a love so great, it takes your breath away at times. Those moments make everything else seem small and petty by comparison.



Your life is no longer your own. You always put them first and foremost. Their needs, wants and desires will always trump your own. You get up when they do, go to bed after they do. You will stay up all night when they are sick, just so they can rest easier. You may find yourself doing without, so they don't have to. You will spend your entire life trying to make theirs better. You would also, gladly give your own life-without a moments thought or hesitation- if it would save theirs or keep them from harm.



So, let's see what it truly costs to raise a child: Your heart, your soul, your life...as well as time, energy and of course a little money. I think, a child truly doesn't care or count how much money you spend on them. But, they do need your love and attention. They do deserve your heart and your soul. Yes, I believe THAT is the true cost of raising a child. I also believe there are many other parents out there who would agree with me.

3 comments:

Jen said...

It truly is difficult to describe how much you can love a child. I love mine more than anything or anyone else in the world.

Crazy thing is, I never desired to have children. The first one just "kind of happened" and I had to be seriously coerced to have the second one. I'd die of a broken heart if anything ever happened to them... but I never really wanted kids.

I never felt that maternal "pull."

kiki said...

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. I truly hope there is a way for you to make a binder of your blog entries. I think it is something your boys will treasure more than anything one day. The entries would give them a gorgeous look into their childhood and how crazy much they were loved. One day when they are old and without their parents, they will have such a fun, loving and accurate view of the amazing woman they were so fortunate to call mom.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful just beautiful!
Here in Maine theres been quite a bit of infants being killed by parents lately. Any are too many! I just don't understand and it breaks my heart. You wrote how I feel!