Friday, November 28, 2008

A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE: OUR THANKSGIVING

I must warn you, the following blog is GRAPHIC in nature....it won't all be THIS pretty and serene: But before you go thinking I'm some kinda "Nervous Nelly" or "Girlie Girl"...I'm not!! Let me show you :



See THIS is BOILING water. I'm looking right at it, up close. Nothing!! Doesn't even faze me!

And see THIS: my hand is directly over the gas flame. Again...NOTHING! (No common sense-nothing!!! *Note children DO NOT try this at home!*)








It is only when you combine THIS: OIL/GREASE






with THIS: FIRE/CAULDREN OF DEATH that I get nervous. It's BOILING HOT OIL AND FIRE PEOPLE!!!! HELLO!!!!

But it's been brought to my attention, that this is my issue...some people don't have issues with it. Hmmmm. These same reckless individuals probably fry bacon alone too. But, that is another story for another day.




Anyhow, sometimes you've got to take a walk on the wild side. Face the fear of death, disfigurement, the loss of mind, home, and body for some fine cuisine. Like on Thanksgiving- you need to fry a turkey! There really is nothing quite like it. Honest! Yum! !


First you start with Tom here: A fine looking specimen.



But he's made even finer when you inject him full of marinade. (Note: this syringe would have also been handy injecting my bottom full of tranquilizers before I took the following photos...but again I digress. Besides, there is always next year!)













(Side Note: I also recommend having one of these on hand: What can I say...I'm a safety girl!!! )



So, you take Tom, inject him full of delicious marinade and then you walk him out to his fate.....dum da dummmmm....dum da dummmmm......(that's me playin' the bugle. good huh?!)


THIS is the BOILING PEANUT OIL! Being heated with PROPANE!!!! (Note, I personally took this picture. Yep that's right. I faced my fear. I looked in the CAULDEN OF DEATH and I laughed! Okay, so I didn't laugh....it was more of a nervous giggle and then I backed the hell away from it....but again I digress.)























See Tom getting ceremoniously lowered into the cauldron..... (See how I am smartly standing on the other side of the fence!!! )










Immediately after lowering Tommy boy into the fryer, it starts to steam/smoke like this photo below. Is your pulse racing?! Are you sweating profusely at this point?! I am!!!









After the lowering of the bird and the scarey smoke screen; it starts to BUBBLE UNCONTROLLABLY....like so:















I warned you this would be graphic in nature!!!!
Just look at the oil SPEWING and POPPING MERCILESSLY over the side and onto the ground. Frying turkeys is NOT for the faint of heart!






Although I must confess...my fearless husband Ricardo is actually frying the turkey. He doesn't have "issues."
However, I feel as if I deserve a sticker for my bravery! Or maybe a t-shirt like:

"I fried a tukey for Thanksgiving and LIVED to tell about it!" What do you think?!





In fact, all the before photos had me so mentally and physically drained that I actually forgot to take a picture of our final product! Honest! HOW funny is that?!!! :) But I found one online that looked just like our final product...


Look at the crispy, golden, beautiful skin on this bird! Wow! Beautiful!! And the inside is so juicy and tasty! Sooooo worth it!!! Yep, it's the final product that will get me to face my fears again next year. The final product... and a t-shirt... and a syringe full of tranquilizers and maybe even a few good stiff drinks first! Again, I apologize for the graphic photos, the suspenseful and traumatizing nature of this story.....But, did YOU think the final product was worth it?! Did I convert you? Are you brave enough? If so, I'll order you an extra t-shirt! :)
























3 comments:

Jen said...

Stacy, you KILL ME. I almost peed my pants reading this!

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and yes, your turkey looks lovely!

Jen said...

ACK!
DELETE MY MESSAGE IF YOU NEED TO.
DANGIT. :(

Anonymous said...

Don't delete it, I almost peed my pants too.

You are crazy. Glad your Thanksgiving was safe and yummy. Most importantly....safe. :)
You should rest for a day or two, and simply eat cold leftover turkey sandwiches. That was a very scary experience.