Thursday, November 13, 2008

Much more than a Navigational Device

I face many challenges in my day to day life. For example, I'm vertically challenged. Very tragic indeed. My inner soul believes itself to be 5' 8'...my outward body (at 5' 1")doesn't reflect this belief. Although, it looks pretty close to it when I wear my "tall jeans" :) Also, sadly enough, I am technologically challenged. Just don't understand gadgets and gizmos -how do they work?! Everything out there these days just boggles my mind! And lastly, (well not lastly) but probably the most horrific of all, is the fact that I am Navigationally Challenged. I've been lost more times than I care to mention. Probably more times than I could count-even if I wanted to! Last year I got lost while out looking at Christmas Lights-we were 5 miles from the house! No, Seriously!! I think that was the turning point for Ricardo. I guess he realized that it was a very real possibility that one day I might leave the house and he would never see me or the boys again.....simply because I wouldn't be able to find my way home! :) So he took matters into his own hands. And for Mother's Day I got this little beauty:
It even looks slim and sleek in profile, take a gander:

Since I've had this device I haven't gotten lost once! I even used it a couple of weeks ago to find my sister's new house (which is over an hour away)-in the dark!! Worked like a charm. You simply plug it in, type in the address and before you know it you're there! I barely had time to take a nap! (just joking)
One of my favorite features is that you can set the voice for male or female. I love Tom; but, if you think for one minute I'm letting a MAN tell me what to do..... So I have it set on "Thomasina". She's so pleasant! So nice! So understanding. She gently guides me where I need to go. And if I make a wrong turn, she soothingly says: "turn around at your earliest convenience.".... "O.K. Thomasina-no problem! Thanks for not making fun of me!" I reply.
I highly recommend this device to anyone who has trouble getting from point A to point B. It is truly a blessing!! (Heartfelt! TomTom is not giving me any kickbacks. This is simply a public service announcement.)
The only complaint I have is this: While traveling to my loving sister's house, in the dark before the dawn, Thomasina told me to: "stay right and then follow the motorway". I'm panicing. What's a motorway Thomasina?!! Is it a service road?! (I should have stayed AWAKE more in driver's ed! I would have known this!!!) It bothered me. But I arrived. No problems. No wrong turns. On the way back however, it was light enough to still see when she told me to "stay on the motorway." FYI: I discovered that a "motorway" is one of those high in the sky ramps that go over the other highways. You know the ones. The white-knuckle, sweaty palms, toss your cookies kinda ramps that petrify me!! Why not just call it what it is ?! Why not say: "in 1/2 mile continue forward onto THE RAMP OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION?!!" It was then, that I knew Thomasina was more than a mere guiding device. She is indeed a true friend who had my back. Because, if she hadn't told the whole "motorway" fib, I might not have finished my journey. And THAT would have been a tragedy indeed!!! Thank you for being my companion on life's highway Thomasina! I can now truly take the road less traveled...and THAT will make all the difference! :)

4 comments:

Jen said...

You kill me - Thomasina telling you a fib to give you courage to continue! Hahaha!
We have a GPS and I HATE it. Travis LOVES it. He even uses it when we are going places we've been 100 times and we know the route like the back of our hands.
He has his GPS set to the female voice and calls her "Betty."
I, on the other hand, like to stop and ask for directions. :)
(It really is a great gift though - glad Ricardo got it for you, it was very thoughtful of him!)

Anonymous said...

Jen,

Hope your feeling better today! I can see you asking people for directions-and people jumping at the chance to give you assistance. You're such a delightfully fun people person. After giving you directions they probably add you to their Christmas Card list because you have become fast friends! :) That's just how wonderful you are!! How funny Travis named his GPS too! Wouldn't it be fun if we could program in the voice of our choice?! Like George Clooney! "Hey gorgeous, we're gonna want to take a left turn in 1/2 mile. Fabulous turning skills! You're so beautiful when you turn left! And may I say you look positively ravishing today! I can't wait to get you to our destination!" Man O Man! I may be on to something!! Better put a patent on this thought! :)

Thanks so much for reading my blog! I enjoy yours just as much! You always make me smile!

Stacy

Jen said...

Yeah, if the GPS complimented me on my hair & make up or my driving skills, I'd be all over that! :)

Anonymous said...

you crack me up Stac...I can picture you yelling at your GPS when she told you to take the motorway!!! I, too, am navigatioinally challenged...I am hoping one day Greg will buy me my own TomTom or Thomasina to guide me in my travels :)