Monday, June 29, 2009

Touring the Farm

We toured an old farm recently. This farm belongs to a very well known family that makes sausage. These barns are exactly how you would picture a barn to look in your mind-yet, rarely how a barn looks in actuality. At least not any that I've seen before. But then, I don't get out much. :) The farm itself is open for the public to tour. Your admission includes roaming the grounds, feeding the animals and admission to the museum. In the background is the facility where they make aforementioned sausage. The public is not allowed in there. (Although I think it would be cool to see how sausage is made. Oh, not the slaughtering part-the assembly line/packaging part.) This pond was on the property. It had horses grazing around it, ducks floating upon it-very peaceful. All my husband could think about was what type of fish might be IN it. :) Everyone loved the hayride. The lovely man who drove the tractor reminded me of my Dad. It made me a wee bit homesick. It was ALL I could do not to hug his neck....but luckily, my family was spared me humiliating them....barely. However, I may just go back again one day to see him. I'll take my sister. She too will see the resemblance-and we will hug the heck out of him. Maybe he will have daughters, so he will understand.



The farm also had the old family homestead. No touring was allowed. However, I would have loved to see the inside. To see how the family lived once upon a time. To go back in time so to speak. But, I had to make due with viewing it from the outside-at a distance. Doesn't it look quaint though? I loved everything about it. Right down to the white picket fence.


The following shots are of the museum.


This one is set up like an old fashioned store.





They had rooms set up like old fashioned kitchens and barns as well.





The picture below reminds me once again of my Dad. He used to have a scale set up like this in his store once upon a time to weigh meat on.





I was once again consumed by an overwhelming urge to go outside and hug the tractor driver. But I'll be visiting my Dad again soon; after which, complete strangers (that in my mind's eye resemble him) will be safe from aforementioned wacko woman accosting them .....for a little while at least.


Tomorrow I will share all the farm animal pictures. But for today, I just wanted you to see the actual farm. And now for what I think is the coolest part. Okay, one of the coolest parts. Aside from the cute picturesque barns, the relaxing pond, the historical museum and family homestead, and the father look alike.


One of the coolest things is this:






This country farm is now smack dab in the middle of a very commercial area. 6 lanes of traffic, businesses as far as the eye can see, rush hour traffic galore-and right across the street...an oasis of calm and yesteryear.


I loved the juxtaposition between yesterday and today's world. Which one would you prefer to reside in?















1 comment:

kiki said...

Well, since I was fully enjoying the tour, and then the city building truly turned my stomach due to shock, I guess I long to be in the country part of life. What a great day. Thanks for sharing.