Friday, June 26, 2009

Come on Baby, " Do the locomotion..."

While on summer vacation, we revisited the good ol' days. We went to see how people used to commute by rail. Have you ever wondered what the inside of one of these old cars looked like? Well wonder no more. This particular car was run on electricity. It transported mail as well as passengers. Oh so roomy inside no?


In the back was the "post office."


Here they sorted the day's mail, like so:


Up front was ,what I am assuming, "first class" seating.





In the middle, standing room only. Stand up, grab a bar, and hold the heck on! But aren't the old advertisements great? And look how tiny the baggage compartments are. For businessmen with teeny, tiny briefcases. :) Teeny, tiny briefcases, hmmmm, I wonder- is that how the term "small businesses" came about?




I think I would prefer to be in the middle of the train. I would much rather stand and hold on, than sit and watch the conductor drive the train.






This is all the equipment necessary to drive a train???!!! Seriously???!!! Where's the radio? Heated seats? GPS? Oh wait. We're on a track, guess we can't really wonder off course now can we. Just the same, I think I 'd rather walk.




And for the love of Mike, don't even get me started on the "facilities." Drink from this fountain? I'd rather stay parched, thank you.





Ohhhhh, and the commode....




It sits like 4 inches off the floor. The sign says, "Please do not use the toilet while train is in the station." No worries! Sweet mother of pearl, I'm glad we progressed in our transportation since then.


Still, it was great seeing how people used to commute. Everyone had a good time exploring history.


And it made for some great photo ops:


Just look at these guys" holding up the train." Get it, holding up the train...:) My Uncle Dennie would have liked that joke. Ahem, anyways...





Sure looks like somebody has been eating their veggies!!!





















2 comments:

Jen said...

Great pictures! And how nice to be reminded of Uncle Dennie. I can picture him in my mind's eye right now, sitting at the kitchen table on Arnold St.

kiki said...

Good ole Uncle Dennie. Thanks for that trip down memory lane too. Love the commentary. You are hilarious. And sweet mother of pearl is correct. Why that didn't even deserve to be called a ladies room. Nothing lady like about it. yeck...