Monday, May 4, 2009

Love Thy Neighbor




I have a wonderful neighbor! She has been so kind every since we moved into the neighborhood. She and I have formed a bond because we both like to garden. The only difference, is that SHE actually knows what she is doing! :) I'm not joking, take a look at her yard:I must say, it is wonderful to look across the street everyday and see such a beautiful yard! It is also intimidating; because, I know that mine will never look that good in a million years! I try hard, but I am just a mere grasshopper-she is the master!




To prove my point, let me tell you this: she grows her own plants! From scratch! She can take a plant, root graft it (or some such thing) and grow a whole 'nother plant!!! Amazing!!! It's just a hobby for her. She likes to do it. I am so glad that she has this hobby; because, every spring she gives me plants that she has grown. She grows them, has no space for them, and gives them to me! Yippee!!!




This weekend, she gave me 19 plants! Yes, 19!!! I don't know the names of all of them. Because, I am an amateur gardener. But this is what they look like:


She grows a bunch of these because she knows that they are my favorite. They are perennials (which I love!) They start out green and then grow this beautiful, delicate purple flower on top. Like so:



They multiply in size every year too. How wonderful is that?!!! Besides being beautiful, it's a real crowd pleaser with butterflies and hummingbirds too. :) And the bees like them as well :(




This year, she also gave me a few "obedience plants". I've never grown one before, but I like the fact that it has to do what I say! LOL! So, I planted this one in the back yard, commanded it to grow and prosper, do my laundry and poop scoop for me....we'll see! :)





It is suppossed to grow little white flowers on it later. Sounds beautiful! I took a chance and planted some of the plants in my backyard. Some are in beds (shhhhh, their sleeping :) others I planted around the trees.




I don't have to mention that planting them in the backyard makes me a little nervous! I have been on "beaver watch" since Saturday!






Ahem...if you read this blog, know what I mean. :) Ella too, is concerned that the beavers who chewed up the trees before, might come back and try to dig up some plants! So I am being very, very vigilant!







But in case "wild life" gets a hold of them, I thought I better show you what they look like now. Four are sleeping in the above bed. 2 more are sleeping in the bed below.



My lovely neighbor also grew these honeysuckle vines. She gave me two of these that she had again grafted from a plant in her yard. I am going to grow them on trellis' against the house/poolside.






She also gave me a plant that is kinda like a hosta, but not. Maybe some of you will know what it is by looking:



I can't wait to get it and the vines in the ground this week!
I had to stop planting this weekend when the epic rains hit. For awhile there I was getting nervous! I looked up how much a cubit was, and got the boys and mastiffs lined up in twos....just in case! :) But I digress....




Anyhow, I am so thankful for my wonderful neighbor! I hope to repay her kindness with some of my vegetable bounty. At least I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I have the opportunity to. Looks like I may have plenty of spuds if this is any indication:



How exciting, I might actually be able to "pay it forward" with some of the spuds that were gifted to me! I would love the opportunity to reciprocate. After all, isn't that what being neighbors is all about?!





















3 comments:

Jen said...

I'll tell ya, having a lousy neighbor makes for a miserable existence! I am glad you got a good one!

Anonymous said...

I have great neighbors. Our two dogs pooped in their yard winter and they didn't say a thing. (to me) It took me all afternoon recently to rake up their yard and remove all the dog crap.
I can't wait to start gardening!

kiki said...

I still keep in touch with my old neighbors Bette and Burr. It is so homey and peaceful to love the people that live near you. I saw a sad face on your bee comment. Remember, they are who get all of your plants pregnant, so they don't just bloom and yet not produce veggies. Bring on the bees.....the flowers will draw the to the flowers on your veggie plants.