Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Once upon a time, in a Quaint Little Neighborhood, there stood a Sweet Little Home...

When Ricardo and I were married, we rented a townhouse. We scraped and saved every dime we could from our humble salaries and saved for a place to call our own.









After a year of saving, we bought our first place. We could not have been more thrilled. We loved our first place. It was so much more than just a house, it was a well loved home. The home I spent many a month on bedrest in. The home we brought both of our newborn boys to. We had wonderful neighbors. The friendly helpful kind. So many memories.








I found out today that the house has been foreclosed.




It saddened me that after we moved, the house never knew a moment's love from it's new owner. I would drive by often and shake my head at it's downtrodden condition. I just wanted to pull the weeds, water the grass, fix the landscaping stones. It also took everything I had not to get out and bang on the door saying, "Why did you buy it if you weren't going to take care of it?!"




As you can see, they posted pictures of it online. Oh the many wonderful times we had in this living room. Ricardo and I sat on the floor by the fireplace eating Sonic burgers the first night we moved in. It was summertime, the fireplace was off- we were just dorks! My beautiful boys both took their first steps in this very room.



Oh, the kitchen. Many a meal was served here-good and otherwise. I lovingly chose this beautiful wallpaper. I still love it to this day. My Ricardo and I laid the tile in this kitchen ourselves. My knees still ache just thinking about it. And the pot rack. I used to love having all my pots and pans hanging from there. (*side note-it's driving me crazy that the person did not reach up and straighten the potrack before snapping this picture. CRAZY I tell ya!*)








I truly am sad that this well loved home has fallen on such hard times. I hope that someone will buy it and show it all the love it deserves. I hope that the walls will once again be filled with family and laughter and love. I for one will always hold it dear to my heart. We didn't have much financially speaking when we lived here; but we were rich I tell you! Rich!!! It will always be a beautiful memory to me. I wouldn't change a thing.








Okay.....






Perhaps I WOULD rethink the paint technique I did in the dining room! (snort, giggle.)



I hope those of you who are sentimental fools such as myself will understand my feelings for our first home. Thanks for indulging me on my trip down memory lane.





3 comments:

kiki said...

Oh, I cried to read that. I am happy someone will hopefully come upon a steal now with it under foreclosure, and be able to have plenty extra to use to show your home the love it deserves. I cry to this day when I think of my first home. I was on a pond and a park. I sat on the living room floor and bawled like a baby the day we last drove away. It so far has been my most favorite home ever. Although I plan on making my current home my new fave one day, hopefully very soon. :)

Anonymous said...

You have me in tears.
I still miss our home in FLorida. The blood sweat and tears that went into it.
Also we owned a Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon. It was special. I brought two of my babies home from the hospital in it and when Dave sold it and bought me a van I cried like the baby I am. To this day if I see an old Roadmaster toolin down the road I burst into tears.

Jen said...

Wow Stacy, I completely understand.

Remember our little white house on Lincoln? The kid we sold it to had told us that he was getting married and wanted a house to start a little family in.

Really though, he tried to "flip it" and ended up selling it a year later at a loss.

I still drive by that house everyday on my way to work and the people who own it now have made a lot of improvements. I am happy to see that they care about those walls - just as I did.