Thursday, October 15, 2009

The weather has been rather gray, rainy and downright dreary here lately-with patches of heavy, long lasting fog thrown in just for good measure. As I went to open my blinds this morning to see what the day had in store for me, I was met with a very pleasant surprise....

My sweet little hummingbird friend was perched on one of the shrub branches outside our window. I quickly ran and got my camera. (The first shot is me peeking my camera thru the half opened blinds trying to get in a good shot before she flittered away...or fluttered away, or hummed away 0r whatever it is they do so fast.)

I've discovered we have a family (friends? acquaintances?...gang??!!) of 3 hummingbirds that come to our yard. I've seen them all together at one time. (No, seriously I have. No, I wasn't drinking at the time. It's true. They were all together. And yes, I have moments of sobriety. But I digress.)

Anyway, THIS one is usually perched on a branch somewhere out front or out back. And she always looks like this...

No, she's not giving me the eye! She's just always puffed up. At first I thought maybe I was just always catching her preening herself. But then, I thought...maybe she is going to lay eggs soon. She is pretty poofy. Is she expecting or just slightly overweight? A um, Stacybird so to speak...

So I looked it up and....

In warmer climates, hummingbirds DO "double brood" if they have had an unsuccessful first nest/hatching OR if they had their eggs/raised their young early enough in the season to have another batch. How exciting would that be???!!! More hummingbirds -hooray! Welcome to the neighborhood friends!!!
I'm excited to think this little momma might be expecting again. I hope she stays. It is a nice area to raise a family.
And if she is just a little poofy....well, I'll take her under my pudgy wing. We can workout together. See if we both can't firm up our feathery parts. If she wants, we could give up all that yummy Southern Pollen Dean cooking and start eating Jenny CrEGG??? ;D



3 comments:

Jen said...

I have only ever seen one hummer here at our house and I didn't have my camera near by.

When I told my family about it, no one believed me... :(

Anonymous said...

Lovely. We have Humming Birds here but we also have two murdering cats. So I tend to scream at birds in our yard. FLY, FLY FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!! Sometimes the darn things just don't listen.


My word is quellin.

I'm quellin man just quellin.

I probably need more to do.lol

kiki said...

That's a beautiful story. And, I love the word poofy. I feel a little poofy sometimes. It sounds so much nicer some other words.
Welcome sweet poofy momma hummingbird, Welcome. :)

Ps, nice to have you "back".
You were very missed.
Hope your heart is mending.