Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Touchstone

I just wanted to say Thank You so much for the kind words and thoughts. The past several days have been incredibly difficult to say the least. I don't know when normalcy will resume. Or a tear free day will pass. It's not there yet. Not by a long shot.





I received an unexpected phone call from the vet's office yesterday. The voice message said they had something for our family. A token to remember Disney by. This is what Ricardo brought home:





It is an actual replica of Disney's pawprint that the vet's office made and then painted for us. I find it to be the most thoughtful, beautiful totally unexpected gesture of condolence I have ever heard of.





I can't describe how much it means to me. There are not enough words. I'm also not able to put those words together cohesively at the moment. I will say that this beautiful gift has become my touchstone. I don't know how to describe it. It is giving immense comfort and strength in an unbearable situation.





They also sent a lovely card on grief:





It has many facts on grief.That it is Physical, Mental, Emotional, Social and Spiritual.That you will feel impact from all the aforementioned areas. That it is natural and normal. That it can last for a long time. That there is no right or wrong way to grieve. How men and women grieve differently for example. (Which came as a great help.) How women want to talk and remember-men not so much. How it is normal to hear sounds of your lost pet or see movement out of the corner of your eye that is not there. (So you-and others- know you're not going crazy.) It also stated that euthanasia is one of the most difficult decisions you must make in life. (Word!) That, if you struggle with guilt, you must remember that you made this decision from love. A decision to spare your pet further suffering.



I've read the postcard over and over. I've read your comments numerous times. I've also caressed the touchstone more times than I feel comfortable admitting to. These tangible items, together with the thoughtfulness of our vet and her staff, and all of you is overwhelmingly comforting. It is strengthening.


Thank you! Much love...



P.S. I promise my future posts will be more upbeat. I too grow weary of the downer I have become. Thanks for your patience.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, your vet is so thoughtful.

I have thought about your family so much this weekend... You did what you had to do, even though it broke your heart into pieces. :(

Praying that your heart will be soon mended and that you will always have the precious memories of Disney to hold onto.

kiki said...

That was really thoughtful of your vet. And I love the education behind the card. It is very necessary in such an unfamiliar and painful situation.
I hope you all get better with each passing day. Please do not feel as if you are a downer. We are all friends, and friends share life. I am honored to go through each step with the people I care about. Whether they be fun steps, or not so much. Take care of you. xoxo

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and thoughful gift.