Friday, September 18, 2009

Oh the Irony!

Thanks for all the advice girls! I heeded the advice of the very wise, kind RN and opted for the tetanus shot. The way I figure, not only is it preventative (because I am 99.9% sure I will do something else stupid or klutzy in the future) but,..it also gives me license to be reckless. For the next 10 years I can step on rusty nails, wade barefoot through flood waters, or lick any rusted metal post I may come across, if I so desire. Not that I desire; but hey, I really should take advantage of this protection I've acquired. Especially considering what I paid for it.





The health clinic price was only $30.(very reasonable!) The clinic itself was a 45 minute drive-each way. (Ugh!) Ricardo wouldn't be able to take off work to stay with the boys tomorrow.So I wouldn't be able to go until Monday...4 days after stupid, klutzy, incident. I called the "Doc in the Box" down the street. They told me if I paid out of pocket and didn't file insurance, it would only be $77 (because a nurse would be giving me a shot-no doctor visit required.) So, hubby told me to go to the doc in the box tonight instead.



Upon arrival at the local "Doc in the Box,"the receptionist told me she was... "mistaken." She "mis-spoke."Anytime it is a "injury" requiring a tetanus injection, you must see the doctor....even if it is only a scrape. Oh holy Joe Pesci!!!! They do indeed "f*&# you at the drive -thru!!!" But I can't get to the health clinic before Monday. By then it may be too late. I'm already here. Might as well get it over with I guess.





So I had to see the doctor. He was very kind. He spent all of 2 minutes in the room with me. He told me I had to take antibiotics as well as get the vaccination. (The TDaP/antibiotic combo.) He also looked at my hand injury and told me he felt sure it wouldn't interfere with my career as a hand model either. (Doctor humor. :) I replied, "I have man hands, so that career ended a long time ago." (Girl with freakishly large hands humor :) He laughed, then shook my hand goodbye. Upon which, he was shocked...as my hand was indeed as big as his. Sad, horrible truth. Although it should be noted his fingers were slightly meatier...slightly. (Ooohhhhh the curse of these freakish man hands! ) Otherwise, yes...in a parallel universe, I am sure I would have indeed made a fantastic and highly successful hand model.





Anyway, here is the final charge my klutzy stupidity, caused by anal OCD tendencies caused today....$198, not including the cost of antibiotics. ( I feel the need to reiterate here....THEY F*&# YOU AT THE DRIVE-THRU!!!! )





Doctor visit-$72


Urgent care service, low- $32.97


Admin of immunization- $28.00


TDAP Vaccine-$65





The ironic part of the whole ordeal is, I was worried about my mouth freezing in the open position. Also, that hubby would take advantage of the situation if mouth paralysis did indeed occur. As it happens...my mouth did indeed freeze in the open position -when I got my bill. And I have a sneaky suspicion that I will now be indebted to dear hubby for the unforeseeable future.....Good thing I don't have to worry about my jaw locking up huh?! Haaaaaaaa Haaaaaaa!!! Keeping my sense of humor, it's critical! ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't have insurance, as you know, I hate the doctors office. They sucky donkey c#c*.

kiki said...

They DO sucky donkey....LOL Yuck. That was even gross to write carsick! You and Stacy should take your show on the road.
Back to doctor's office visit.
For such a silly size cut, I do believe you have been taken advantage of. That is really ridiculous that it is too expensive to visit a doctor...even in "a box." I am glad you took the advice to go though. It is well worth it considering what it may have cost to not go. And as I have noticed with you moms, if it would have been your child, you wouldn't have even given it a second thought.
Enjoy the ability to close your mouth when you want, you paid good money for that. :)

Jen said...

Yowza!

I am surprised the health dept doesn't administer vaccines. Here, it is in the neighborhood of $25 and you don't have to see a doctor.

Shoot, I could have "lifted" some and met you in OKC. I would have given it to you for free at IHOP along I-35!