Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Power of Words

Lines, Lines, and more lines. I don't stand in them. I remember them. Lines from T.V. shows. Lines from movies. Real life lines from real life people. I remember these sometimes profound, sometimes trivial words and quote them often. It is a gift and a curse. For those around me when I start quoting, it can be a curse. For my poor husband who can have any dialogue, large or small, ever spoken by him, quoted back to him-it is indeed a curse of the worst order!!! For me though, it is mostly a gift. A gift with no practical purpose whatsoever in most instances, yet a gift none the less. Some days as scattered as my brain is, I consider it a true gift indeed to be able to recall ANYTHING at all. HA!





One gift I received was 14 years ago. I was pregnant with my first child. I was nervous about so many things. Big things. Small things. Inconsequential things. I never had any complaints when I visited my doctor, only worries. Many of them. One day, my doctor said something very wise. Something truly profound. Something that I will remember til the day that I die. A quote that is useful in not only pregnancy and labor, but most any situation in life. I shall now share these words of wisdom with you.....





"DO THE BEST YOU CAN DO. THAT'S ALL YOU CAN DO. AND WE'LL SEE WHAT YOU'VE GOT."





I don't know how many women he might have said that phrase to. I only know how much it meant to me then and now. Years later, that mantra still gives me needed courage during trying or uncertain times. Yes, the power of words...a true gift indeed!

1 comment:

Jen said...

How true.

Now that Matt is an adult, I have apologized to him for some of the errors in judgement I made during his upbringing. I tell him that even though I made a few mistakes along the way, "I did the best I could with what I had to work with at the time."