Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sign of the Times

Been an interesting week here. Hubby has had layoffs at his place of employment. Again. The second round so far this year. Another round next week. In addition to the layoffs, the people who were lucky enough not to make the pink slip list got surprises of their own. They will have to take a week off (all at once) with no pay. Also, there will be a 10% pay cut. In addition to the week without pay. Wow!



Now, I know times are hard. Perhaps I shouldn't be complaining....but I will. A week without pay. That's 1/2 a paycheck. (Am I a mathematical wizard or what?!) And a 10% paycut on top of that?! Are ya serious?! I'm sure the mortgage company will understand when I only pay 1/2 my mortgage. Or how about at the pharmacy when I say "It may cost $40, but I'm going to pay 10% less." Everything else is going up in price and our paycheck is going down. Doesn't seem fair.



Makes me wonder what is next. Will it be like school? Will my husband be required to bring his own office supplies? Pens, paper, laptop? Will he have to pitch in for the office utility bill? What is too much and when will it stop?



And may I say, when times were good-there was no 10% pay increase. Or 10% of the total profits for anyone. Oh nay! Hubby has gone over 2 years without a raise. So have a lot of other fine folks at this establishment. My favorite part is how "they" said, "when times are good again we will reinstate the 10% we have taken away." I feel quite certain that "they" will. I also feel quite certain when it happens, "they" will consider it a raise.


We are trying to be proactive. Resumes have been sent to companies. We shall see what transpires. Just some interesting times my friends. Thank goodness I have "the boots." Cause momma may have to go to work.

We will hope for the best and plan for the worst I guess. I know there are a lot of folks who have it worse than us. Who have gone through much tougher times than this and survived just fine. I shall use them for inspiration. At least we have employment. We still have our house. We have our health and each other. In the meantime, we will just try to make more with less. Or make less seem like more. Or something like that.

Hubby says it's not personal. It's business. He just turns the other cheek. I wish I were as understanding as him. But as a wife and a mother, I'm taking it a bit personal. And my cheeks are a wee bit chapped. So I guess my question is, am I right to be a tad irritated? Nervous? Or should I only be counting my blessings? And trusting all will work out?

On the bright side, all that has transpired this week has given me another grand idea. I shall be contacting Mattel....yes, again. This time with my "Destitute Dolly" line idea. She comes with a carboard box...and little else. She may not be a popular toy; but, I'm sure everyone could relate to her.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I know that Trav and I have had to watch our budget closer the past year or so. The cost of everything is going up, up, up and the money coming home is less, less, less! Trav's department is expecting layoffs in early 2010 - I pray his job isn't on the chopping block.

You are right though - you have each other and your family is healthy. Nothing else really matters, really.

Anonymous said...

You have a right to have chapped cheeks.
It is very hard to not be frustrated and put a foot up someone ass. We are in the same boat. Only my husband works on straight commission. His boss went and hired new people after the shit hit the fan. He thinks it makes people work harder if they are a little hungy. I was willing to give him hungry.
Keep your smile stuck to your face and love on your husband. He might be acting like everything will be okay but you know inside he has to be crapping his pants.

kiki said...

I'd be pissed too. That's bs. What about pole barbie. Let's not forget her, she should be chosen before cardboard box barbie. Pole barbie likes the boots too I bet. And oh the accessories you could come up with for her....clear heels.....let's not forget clear heels.

Stacy D. Briefing said...

LOL!!! Pole Barbie-I like it! I like it alot!!! And clear heels....!!! I can't wait! :) I can click my clear heels 3 times and say "There's not place like the pole. There's no place like the pole." ;)

kiki said...

Her clients, I mean pals could be the starecrow, ten-k-man and the liein'... s.o.b.
Sorry, got away from the pole and a little sidetracked on the "there's no place like home" thought. Those 3 pals, actually have nothing to do with pole now then do they?

Audrey at Barking Mad said...

"We will hope for the best and plan for the worst I guess. I know there are a lot of folks who have it worse than us. Who have gone through much tougher times than this and survived just fine. I shall use them for inspiration. At least we have employment. We still have our house. We have our health and each other. In the meantime, we will just try to make more with less. Or make less seem like more. Or something like that."

No truer words have ever been spoken.

My own hubby's company recently went through Round Two of layoffs. We feel like we are perpetually holding our breath around here. We are waiting for pay cuts and a reduction in what the company contributes toward health care...having said that though, I've done Universal Health Care and will take whatever we can get through hubby's work vs. gov't sponsored health care.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

hee hee hee Pole Barbie