Thursday, November 12, 2009

Tis the Season...

Well, it's that time of year again-catalog season. Catalogs with food for yourselves and others during the holiday season. Clothing, toys, furniture,fishing supplies, pet supplies, gift ideas, you name it-We'll get it. Daily. Then after Christmas, we will receive all the "Post Holiday Clearance" catalogs.



The sad part of all this, many would say it is the amount of paper used to print these catalogs. However, we are recycling fanatics. So, every possible thing that can be recycled at our residence, is indeed recycled. Today's catalog is sent off to the recycling plant. Destined to become tomorrow's toilet paper, grocery bag, perhaps... even another catalog.



No, the sad part of this is my reaction to the catalogs. I get giddy with excitement. I peruse nearly every single one. It's like being mailed a treasure chest and not knowing what you will find inside. The beautiful presentations of food that I will never make, let alone eat. The extravagant holiday tree and holiday decor that you will never find on display in my home. The abundance of gift ideas that had not been previously thought of. Useless items I didn't even know existed. It's like a sickness really. The need to look at these catalogs. A greater sickness still, the joy that all this visual stimulation brings me. If they had scratch and sniff catalogs, it would probably send me over the edge with excitement.



So, my question to you today is....Do you love the catalog season or dread it? Do you read yours, discard it, or opt out of receiving them all together? Are you a catalog junkie? Or do you think I am just a sad, pathetic individual who should seek treatment as soon as possible?.....Never mind. Don't answer that last question. But if you know of a good medical facility....you could send me their catalog. :O

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love magazines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, JC Penney puts out individual mags as well as their big Christmas one. My mom couldn't get the smaller ones where she lived in Florida so I would go to our store and pick up two of each and go directly to the mail and send mom her set. I then would go almost bat flipping crazy not to look at mine until she got hers. Then she would call me and we'd each get a cup of coffee and (look) at them together. It took me YEARS to convince her to get the internet! Even though I'm a blubbering baby right now thanks for helping me remember that!

Stacy D. Briefing said...

Truly, what a thoughtful daughter to send the catalogs to your mom. I love that you looked at the catalogs together via phone and coffee. That's a beautiful story to remember and tell!!!

I too look at all the individual JCP mags plus the big catalog. I have a collection of numerous catalogs in a basket with pages dog-earred. As if I'm fully intending on buying everything I have marked one day. HA!!! I truly need help. :)

kiki said...

I love magazines, but not catalogs. I look at Pottery Barns catalog for decorating ideas, but other than that.... People, Southern Living, Paula Deen, Oprah, Real Simple..... are just a few of my faves that I don't have time to read. :) I do love to just have them stacked close though just incase.